Sunday, April 8, 2007

Keep It on the Positivity

So people keep telling me they enjoy the updates, but are generally apprehensive as to whether I'm actually having a good time. I should indeed clarify that I am in fact having an awesome time, its just that all the weird and zany and sometimes sad and depressing stuff is what my twisted mind finds most interesting. But in order to relieve the more anxious reader, here is something which contains only the good, the great, and the grand. Without further riggamarole (sp?), in no particular order here is Kevin's So Far Top Ten Things About Ghana:

1) Water girls, who manage to infiltrate any and all premises and locations in a righteous effort to quench my thirst. Ladies, my hat is off to you.

2) Hissing and kissing. If in the coming months find my kissing at you or hissing at you for your attention, be not offended. Here in Ghana its a perfectly acceptable means of salutation and a habit quick and easy to adapt. The great thing too is that its (almost) always done good-naturedly, and Ghanaians take great pleasure in the confusion of newbie obruni's. The daring may even toss in a wink, but I tend to use that only rarely and only in emergencies.

3) Two for one pizzas on Tuesdays at the Pizza Inn. It has become our Tuesday ritual to get two large pizzas and eat ourselves sick, and I love it. It reminds me of 99 cent pizza in Montreal: it's so bad its good. We often top it off with pastries or cookies or something from the local Maxmart, then roll ourselves back to work all while fighting off the impending food coma.

4) Hohoe and Wli Falls. Despite getting sick at the end of it, the whole process of coming and going, and then the majesty of the falls themselves, it was just one of the unforgettable journeys whose memory is bittersweet, if only because you know you could never relive it exactly the same way ever again.

5) Ghanaian dancing. They should have a sign at the airport that says "Shake your booty or get the hell out." 80s power ballads and high life (African hip hop) are the only things the DJs are spinning here, and that's okay by me. It is, just like every else around here, completely incongruous and contradictory... and yet it works. Love it.

6) Public Service Announcements. There are two ads put out on the TV by the government here, and you will see them over and over and over again. One is the "Ghana is 50" ad. It will run all year long, and it is the second catchiest song in the country. What is number one? I'm glad you asked. The Ghanaian currency is getting a major overhaul in June, and that looming fiasco is the subject of the number one hit "There is no change in value, the value is still the same." In this ad you have all the stereotypes of Ghanaian culture, from students to trotro mates to market women to goverment workers, all singing this lovely melody warning the public not to freak out about new money, how to do the mathematical conversions, and when the exchange cycles will begin. It's catchy, it's informative, and it's 100% Ghana. I hope they tackle pollution next. Captain Planet and Planeteers, anyone?

7) Fruit. I swear that, despite the locals' aversion to eating it, Ghana has the best fruit I've ever had in my entire life. They have the most delectable pineapple, mango, and papaya I've ever stuffed myself with. I don't know where it comes from or how they do it, by I'm giving it two thumbs way way up. In addition, its cheap cheap cheap. I think the most you could pay for any of this ambrosia is 5000 cedis, which equates to about 50 cents. We have started to augment our starch-and-sauce dinners with massive fruit platters and I've never been so happy in my life. The Ghanaians seem to think our obsession with their fruit is quite quaint, but I guess when you have something so good everyday you start to take it for granted. For myself, I will continue glut myself on this stuff, even long after I get sick of it, because I know I'll never get it so good again.

8) The trotro system. This will ultimately get a more in-depth email to itself, but I am in love with the trotro system as an awesome case study for free market entrepeneurship. The mates and drivers in the trotros also give it great personality, for better or worse, and I usually get at least one good trotro story a day. Like I said, more to come on this one.

9) Western style supermarkets. For those days when you just need a break from Africa, the solution is a trip to the supermarket. Its nice to roam around in airconditioning and fantasize about all the wonderful foods I will be demanding of my loving mother when I get home. We also buy powdered juices here to augment our water sachet diet. The preferred brand seems to be Foster Clark's ... Australian for juice, guffaw guffaw.

10) New friends. I have the pleasure of meeting interesting wherever my travels take me, but Ghana has been an especially providential venture. From the original tribunal of Mac and Kendra to the new school homeys Lee and Amanda, even with people shuffling around here and there I've always got someone around to create mischief with. Good travels are made exponentially better with good company, and I've got great company. With time here coming to a close the experience is bitter sweet, but these clouds always have a silver lining: my collection of free places to stay around the globe grows a little more. You can believe I have every intention of taking advantage ;-)

No comments: